Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It's About Time I Wrote About Macdonald

Before I went to England I went to the faithful Biola library (I discovered not long ago that one of the dedications in the ground leading up to the Library is to a Leilani. Every time I see it I mildly wonder what type of woman she was and what kind of life she led. It is rather strange..)and I checked out two George Macdonald books. They had been re-packaged as Christian romance novels, but they are far from that...

Let me describe an image inside one of the books (a book picked up later) to give you a picture of what Macdonald does. The image is of three Christians walking in the beautiful outdoors with a woman who does not believe. She, smitten by the beauty and peace of the day, murmers "If God is true, it almost seems as if he is near." And the man replies, "That he himself believes in God, that Rachel (his niece) believes, and that Dorthey (a friend) believes, so of course God is near." And I was struck with the thought that our relationship with Christ brings others near to God, because of His residence in us. And that when reading these books, the fictional characters somehow resonated Christ's love. So that I am wrapped in the all-consuming thought that knowing Christ is the well-spring from which all knowledge of God is found. And I find myself desiring to know Christ more deeply and fully, because He is God.

Macdonald's thoughts are really good. They are soul refreshing. So if you have chance I reccomend The Curate's Awakening. I think you will be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment