Friday, April 9, 2010

Firefly

TV shows and me have a love/hate relationship. Begrudgingly, I have allowed myself to watch Alias and slowly become interested and then wish I wasn't...because there were SO MANY episodes.

And, I haven't sat down to seriously watch Lost, well because, the first couple episodes were scary. I tried to do laundry at 11:00 pm after watching a few and walking through my typically "safe" apartment complex I genuinely felt fear, usually, that's not me. But, the hardest obstacle (as already alluded to) is the time commitment. If I start watching a show that means years worth of TV time- its a big promise. So what to do?

Well, the first step was to realize watching a show with people is "bonding." Together we get to know characters and bemoan their bad decisions and laud their triumphs. It is a safe, newsy topic of conversation. I mean after all "It is just awful that Bones refused to be with Booth. I mean can't she see what's good for her?" (Of course we the audience know what she should do, and they the script writers know they better keep that conclusion far off to keep us the audience watching.)

The next step was to actually watch a complete season without skipping episodes, something down the lines of the journey is worth it. (And depending on the story, it is worth it... If only one could know that from the start.) So Buffy, season two, oh yeah.

But to complete an actual series? Now that would be a feat. Well, over the past several weeks I have gotten to know Mal, Captain of serenity, and his crew of space cowboys. I have enjoyed the theme song, big, commanding, take all this, but I still have my freedom, sort of theme song. I liked it. I didn't appreciate some of the "lower" elements, but I pretty much thought the captain was amazing. (He was loyal, doesn't get much better). Yesterday, I did it. I watched a complete series! Firefly. Done.

Oh, did I mention the best part. Firefly was only FOURTEEN episodes long!! So, Lost here I come... I CAN commit to a TV series.

-Leilani

No comments:

Post a Comment